The V4 ROM
There are now several ways to get hold of the improved Z88 ROM, which
contains many bugfixes from the original V2.2/V3 ROMs.
Tony Firshman can take
the effort out of upgrading your Z88, adding the V4 ROM and 512K internal
RAM for you. Contact him for further details.
Alternatively, if you have the facility to blow a 128K EPROM, you can
download the zipped V4 ROM image
from this page.
The V4 ROM contains the following fixes:
- Lost handles
- In v3, handles could be lost by pre-empting the Filer during a catalogue,
resulting in a "File in use" error which required a soft reset to
- ROM cards
- It is no longer possible to insert and remove cards while the Z88 is
switched off, which could cause confusion, since the Z88 now wakes up when the
flap is opened.
- When updating the PrinterEd settings under v3, it is common to encounter a "FAIL"
condition. This has been fixed with v4. In addition, the "Allow line feeds"
option now works correctly.
- RAM.- device
- The system no longer gets confused if files are present in this useful
device when the Z88 is reset.
- Expanded machine
- The Z88 will now behave as an expanded machine (giving a full map in
PipeDream, and 40K workspace in BASIC) if there is 128K RAM anywhere in the
system, and not just in slot 1 as with v3.
- Filer display
- In v3, a problem sometimes occurs with Filer when marking a file after
scrolling the cursor. This causes the first letter of the filename to disappear,
but is fixed with v4.
Just like the earlier ROMs, the V4 is not perfect. If you're thinking
of upgrading, you should be aware of the following:
- PrinterEd is not fully fixed
- Some BBC BASIC programs do not work correctly with it
- PipeDream's online help has been removed
Back to the Z88 home page