What's New in this release of the +3e ROMs
The following changes have been made to v1.43 of the
+3e ROMs since the previous public release (v1.38):
- Fixes for bugs present in original +3 ROMs:
- Fixed COPY...TO SCREEN$/LPRINT potentially causing crashes and other
oddities when entered as program lines rather than as direct commands
- Fixed spurious "OUT 7I" error message with SPECTRUM command
- Fixed ERASE command with wildcard to select and clear lower screen
for confirmation message, instead of using stream used for last output
- Fixed CAT and COPY...TO commands to allow user area in filespecs
without also requiring a drive, and to allow user areas 10-15 as well
- Fixes for bugs in +3e features:
- Fixed some commands (NEW...DATA/EXP, SPECTRUM
ATTR/FLASH/INK/PAPER/BRIGHT) potentially causing crashes and other
oddities when entered as program lines rather than as direct commands
- Fixed NEW...DATA from initialising too many directory sectors (harmless bug)
- Fixed Spanish version Not Ready message
- New features:
- Added support for DivMMC interfaces
- Added descriptions for partition types defined by ZXVGS operating system
- For MMC/SD card interfaces, added support for using SDHC and SDXC
cards (and micro SDHC/SDXC) - currently limited to 8GB usable space on
- Deprecated features:
- Removed the sector-by-sector COPY "A:" TO "B:" command, as this is
very dangerous and frequently the cause of lost data, whilst not being
The following changes have been made to v1.38 of the
+3e ROMs since the previous public release (v1.37):
- Fixed bug where the DATA pointer was not correctly maintained if an
extended channel was opened before the first READ after a RUN or RESTORE 0.
- Fixed bug where scrolling a single-line text window caused a crash.
The following changes have been made to v1.37 of the
+3e ROMs since the previous public release (v1.36):
- Fixed a long-standing +3DOS uninitialised variable bug, present since the original +3, which caused the filesize of files opened in headerless mode to be miscalculated. The most obvious manifestation of this bug was incorrect (too large) filesizes when files were copied from hard disk to any location.
- Added support for detecting attempted writes to write-protected disks (ATA protocol interfaces only). Other error conditions are also now returned as "unknown disk error" (previously they would eventually timeout as "drive not ready").
- Fixed bug in mapping commands, which caused a nonsense error to be generated instead of "invalid device".
The following changes have been made to v1.36 of the
+3e ROMs since the previous public release (v1.35):
- Removed reset protocol detection on ATA interfaces to improve boot speed
- Noted that divIDE version will run on MB02+ and MB02+IDE.
- Various fixes for ZXUSB (for ZXMatrix interface).
The following changes have been made to v1.35 of the
+3e ROMs since the previous public release (v1.31):
- Allow slave drive to run even if no master present.
- Fixed occasional spurious drive identification due to randomness of floating bus.
- Added ZXCF+2 port.
- Added ZXUSB (for ZXMatrix) preliminary port (not yet finalised).
- Fixed IDE_SWAP_RESIZE, which previously failed unless the partition was exactly the same size as now required (rather than larger or equal to).
- Improved speed of IDE_SWAP_IN (ATA protocol interfaces only).
- Swap partition access no longer forced into segment 3.
- Fixed long timeout for ZXATASP.
- Now detects drives after a soft reset, or entry from ResiDOS etc.
- Fixed syntax checking for NEXT # and RETURN # commands, which could cause lockups or other oddities during program entry.
- Fixed CAT TAB display to show partition sizes below 32MB in K, so more accurate sizes are shown.
- Fixed ide_interface for ZXCF to select device zero before attempting ATA detection protocol.
- Shortened "no swap partition" message to avoid multi-line report and ensuing crash.
The following changes have been made to v1.31 of the
+3e ROMs since the previous public release (v1.30):
- Fixed long-standing +3DOS caching bug (present in all versions of the
+3 and +3e). This usually manifested itself as reading incorrect data for
headerless files on large disks (most often seen when loading snapshots).
The following changes have been made to v1.30 of the
+3e ROMs since the previous public release (v1.28):
- Added support for MMC/SD devices; in particular, ZX-MMC interface and
- Fixed restoration of R register in snapshot loader
- Fixed restoration of flags register in snapshot loader (ZXATASP bug only)
- Fixed bug in IDE_INIT call which could cause incorrect initialisation of
The following changes have been made to v1.28 of the
+3e ROMs since the previous public release (v1.11):
- Snapshot loading rewritten; now supports both 48K and 128K snapshots
in .SNA and .Z80 (all versions) formats. No longer supported on floppy disk.
- Improved speed of sustained hard disk reads
- Added support for various other IDE interfaces
- Updated IDEDOS to v1.03, adding support for IDE_IDENTIFY and
IDE_PARTITIONS calls (previously only available in ResiDOS).
- Fixed long timeout on drive detection for ZXATASP
- Changed drive detection to use IDE_IDENTIFY
- Enhanced CAT TAB command to display detected geometry for each drive
- Changed FORMAT TO command; automatically detects drive geometry, so
now only needs a unit number and number of partitions
- Added optional third parameter to FORMAT TO command, limiting disk usage
to first N cylinders, and allowing sharing with PC partitioning
- Fixed detection of errors for some devices which set DRQ=1 even if there
is an error
- Fixed "No files found" message appearing when multiples of 63 files are
- Fixed handling of partitions greater than 8MB in +3DOS (access previously
wrapped to below 8MB, due to 16-bit operations on record numbers)
- Fixed occasional strange problems caused by lack of cache buffers on
systems with no floppy drive (+2e); 8 cache buffers are now allocated,
regardless of prescence of floppy disk interface.
- Fixed "Loader" menu option for systems with no floppy drive (+2e)
- Fixed incompatibility with Multiface 3 (now allows saving snapshots to
The following changes have been made to v1.11 of the
+3e ROMs since the previous public release (v1.10):
- fixed "Please put disk for ? in drive" bug that occurred when pressing
a key while +3DOS was active
- minor Spanish translation corrections
The following changes have been made to v1.10 of the
+3e ROMs since the previous public release (v1.04):
- added "V>" variable channels
- added "M>" memory channels
- added "W>" text window channels
- Bugfix (+3e): fixed menu bugs trying to enter 48K BASIC and Loader etc
- Bugfix (+3e): possibly fixed bug where all files on destination partition
get deleted if source wildcard matches nothing in COPY command (unconfirmed)
- Bugfix (+3e): stopped channel I/O corrupting IX, so CAT #n TAB works
- Bugfix (+3e): added Spanish text for CAT ASN command
The following changes have been made to v1.04 of the
+3e ROMs since the previous public release (v0.87):
- added CAPS SHIFT key to bypass automatic setup on boot/reset
- added SPECTRUM name$[,addr] command for loading Z80 snapshots
- extended streams and channels interface with new file-access channels
- added NEXT #n,v command to input character from stream
- added RETURN #n,v command to get stream position
- added GOTO #n,m command to set stream position
- added DIM #n,v command to get stream size
- replaced standard Retry/Ignore/Cancel messages with international-style ones
- upgraded +3DOS to v1.1 with international ALERT routine
- added Spanish version of ROM
- removed self-test program, EAR monitor and COPY RANDOMIZE command
- added IDEDOS call interface and documentation for machine-code programmers
- Bugfix (+3e): fixed crash bugs BREAKing to CAT ASN and CAT TAB commands
- Bugfix (+3e): fixed change-disk routine for single-floppy systems
- Bugfix (+3e): fixed mapping of floppy drive 1 to default to drive B:
- Bugfix (+3): fixed spurious "end of file" error in printer output
- Bugfix (+3): fixed stack overflow with ineffective keys in Editor
- Bugfix (+3): fixed PIP duration
- Bugfix (+3): fixed lower-screen editing mode problems (line loss)
- Bugfix (+3): GOTO beyond end of program renumbered as 9999
- Bugfix (+3): fixed characters migrating before ">" or "<"
- Bugfix (+3): fixed syntax error position calculation
- Bugfix (+3): removed HALT from error reporting routine
- Bugfix (+3): fixed CLOSE # bug on closed streams (not fixed for 48K mode)
Back to ZX Spectrum +3e